Urban Planners and civil engineers have interesting jobs that combine business management, budget responsibility, and engineering into one job. Using your smart phone is a great way to stay productive whether you’re in the office, at a job site or on the road. Here are 20 web applications we think urban planners will love. Some are for the Android and others for the iPhone.
For the Android
- Civil Engineering Suite: This app contains all the current engineering apps by Option Basics 101.
- Civil Engineering Calculations: This app can help you with all the typical civil engineering calculations.
- Coulomb Earth Pressure: This app helps you with one of the most common civil engineering calculations. It helps you determine the Coulomb active and passive earth pressure coefficient of soil.
- Civil Engineering Calculations: Another application for performing the most common civil engineering calculations on your Android.
- Civil Engineering Professional: This app performs more than 250 of the most common civil engineering calculations.
- Talking Calendar: Keep up with your appointments with a calendar that talks to you!
- AK Notepad: This notepad for Android provides a great way to make, store and track notes. This little app makes it much easier to stay organized and keep track of your notes.
- Scan to PDF: Scan a paper document and convert it to a PDF file instantly on your phone. This application is great for eliminating paper and keeping all your documents secure.
- Upvise: This Android app lets you access and share business information back at the office when you’re away.
- Opera Mini: This app can browse the entire Web on your Android phone and save time and money. Opera mini compresses pages up to 90%, making web browsing fast. Synchronize your bookmarks, history, notes and more between your computer and mobile phone.
For Your iPhone
- Civil Engineering Formulator: This iPhone application contains 75 of the most important formulas for a civil engineer.As an urban planner, you’re certain to use these calculations on a regular basis as part of determining building size and the structural requirements of buildings your city is planning.
- Statics: This iPhone application gives lots of formulas and information on force and uniform load.
- Civil Engineering in a Flash: This is great for the person studying for their civil engineering exam. Learn lots of terms with flashcards on your phone.
- Civil Engineering Calculations: This is the iPhone and iPad version of the Android App listed above. It performs the most common civil engineering calculations, like pipe flow, channel flow, vertical curve, etc.
- OmniFocus: This task management application allows you to create to do lists, as well as sync with documents on your desktop. This application can really help you stay organized, which is especially important if you bounce between your office and job sites.
- Google Calendar: Check your Google calendar from anywhere. You never have to worry about being out of touch when you don’t go into the office.
- Full Screen Web Browser: Does just what it says: lets you browse in full screen.
- Evernote: You’ll never take notes on paper again. It’s so easy to take notes on your phone and save them or file them.
- AirSharing: A great way to share files: AirSharing allows you to mount your iPhone or iPod Touch as a wireless drive on any computer, drag and drop files and then view them on your device.
- Sim City: What urban planner doesn’t want to play Sim City? This game is often used to describe to young people exactly what the urban planner’s job entails. This is the original deluxe version of the game for your iPhone.
As technology advances, you can be certain that there will be more industry and job specific applications for all sorts of smart phones. So, it pays to keep on the lookout for new applications that can make your life easier at work and at home. Your smart phone is a great productivity tool if you know how to use it and if you have all the right applications to make it really work for you.